COMET – Competence Centers for Excellent Technologies
Competence Centers for Excellent Technologies
|Target group||SME, Large enterprises, Universities, Universities of applied sciences, Competence centres, Research facilities|
|Topic||Service Innovations, Society, Information technology, Human resources, Life sciences, Materials and production, Mobility, Security, Environment and energy, Further issues, Space|
|Type of service||Funding|
|Förderinstrument||C8 Z Kompetenzzentrum, C9 PJ Strukturaufbau - Projekte|
|FFG Unit of organisation||Structural programmes|
Since 1998 the Kplus, K_ind, and K_net competence centre programmes have been implemented in 45 centres and networks in Austria in order to build up key research competences through cooperation between science and industry, providing a network of hubs offering high quality research.
Since its start, COMET has regarded itself as an innovative successor to these programmes. The fundamental motivation behind extending COMET beyond 2016 is to develop new expertise and encourage greater internationalisation as a sign of excellent cooperative research. Bundling these competences within a single centre and defining promising/emerging fields of research via science - industry collaboration shall stimulate new research ideas, encourage technology transfer, and strengthen the innovative capacity of companies. This should result in the creation of new product, process and service innovations. Seen in this light, COMET is playing a key role in the task of strengthening Austria as a research and business location.
The programme lines
The COMET Programme is implemented in 3 programme lines. The programme lines “COMET Centre (K1 and K2)” and “COMET Project” (formerly “K-project”) have been complemented by a “COMET Module” line, which aims to establish new promising/emerging fields of research of particularly high-risk.
Programme line COMET-Centre (K2)
- K2-Centres 1st Call: ACCM | K2-Mobility | MPPE
- K2-Centres 2nd Call: ACIB | XTribology
- K2-Centres 3rd Call: IC-MPPE | K2 Digital Mobility | LCM
Programme line COMET-Centre (K1)
- K1-Centres 4th Call: ACMIT | CDP | FFoQSI | PCCL-K1 | Pro2Future | SBA-K1 | VRVis K1
- K1-Centres 3rd Call: ASSIC | BE2020_2.0 | CBMed | CEST | K1-MET | KNOW | LEC EvoLET | RCPE | SCCH | WOOD
- K1-Centres 2nd Call: ACMIT | alpS | PCCL-K1 | SBA 2 | VRVis-Center
Programme line COMET-Projects
- K-Projects 6th Call: CC FLOW | DeSSnet | Flippr² | PolyTherm | ReWaste4.0 | SafeBattery | TCCV | WoodC.A.R.
- K-Projects 5th Call: ADDA | AEDA | Amoree | DEXHELPP | ECO-PowerDrive-2 | HOPL | imPACts | JOIN | LiTech | VASCage | ZPT+
COMET is sponsored by the Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology (BMVIT) and the Ministry of Science, Research and Economy (BMWFW), which are following up on the success of their previous competence center programmes. The Austrian provinces also support COMET with additional funds.
The Austrian Research Promotion Agency FFG is responsible for the management of COMET.