FFG Support for Environmental and Energy Research
A large number of projects from this thematic field are funded under the General Programmes and other programmes that are open to all fields, e.g. the Structural Programmes. This includes COMET competence centres and K projects, COIN projects and the FFG’s human resource programmes.
Apart from these generic programmes, the following thematic funding schemes are particularly suited for research in the areas of environment and energy:
- The New Energies 2020 programme supports innovations that make a significant contribution to reducing the burden on the climate and increasing efficiency. The key goals in this context are to develop a sustainable energy system and to increase competitiveness by gaining a technological edge with national economic benefits. The focus of funding is on energy efficiency, renewable sources of energy, smart energy systems and electromobility.
- The Building of Tomorrow Plus programme focuses on energy-producing buildings of the future and energy efficient housing and was initiated by the Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology (BMVIT). The programme is managed by the FFG in cooperation with Austria Business Service (AWS) and the Austrian Society for Environment and Technology (ÖGUT). Transnational energy research projects and activities carried out in cooperation with the International Energy Agency (IEA) are also funded via the BMVIT.
- The vision pursued by the “Smart Energy Demo – FIT for SET” programme is the first-ever implementation of a “smart city” or a “smart urban region” in Austria. Smart green technologies are being applied to turn cities and urban districts into “zero emission cities” and “sustainable urban regions”.
- The research and demonstration programme “Electromobility’s Technical Beacons” concentrates on sustainable mobility and energy supply and is geared to the strategic concerns and priorities of the Climate and Energy Fund.
- Austria also participates in IEA research cooperation projects (tasks, annexes) under the cooperation scheme with the International Energy Agency (IEA). Research activities under this scheme relate to internationally agreed priorities, national network and dissemination tasks and delegation activities.
The 7th Framework Programme, EUREKA and Eurostars as well as the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme CIP (with its Intelligent Energy Europe Programme, IEE) are relevant for research and innovation projects in the European and international context. Under the 7th Framework Programme the Energy and Environment programmes are of thematic relevance for projects in this context.