Budget & structure
In May 2018, the European Commission presented its proposal for the Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) for the 2021-2027 period. Funds totalling 100 billion euros are earmarked for research and innovation:
- Horizon Europe >> 97.6 billion euros (94.1 billion euros plus 3.5 billion euros from the InvestEU Fund)
- Euratom >> 2.4 billion euros
The new Horizon Europe programme is based on three pillars:
|European Research Council - 16,6 bn|
|European Innovation Council - 10 bn|
|Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions - 6,8 bn||European Innovation Ecosystems - 0,5 bn|
|Research Infrastructures - 2,4 bn||European Institute of Innovation and Technology - 3 bn|
|Joint Research Centre (non-nuclear) - 2,2 bn|
|Strengthening the European Research Area (2,1 bn)|
|Sharing excellence - 1,7 bn|
|Reforming and enhancing the European R&I System - 0,4 bn|
- EIC:The European Innovation Council is aimed to help the EU become a leader in breakthrough innovations that can create and capture new markets.
- Five thematic clusters: The topics from the previous pillars ‘Industrial Technologies’ and ‘Societal Challenges’ will be combined in five thematic clusters.
- Mission-oriented approach: After the start of Horizon Europe, a limited number of highly visible R&I missions will be defined together with citizens, stakeholders, the European Parliament and Member States. The missions will be defined based on the report "Mission-Oriented Research & Innovation in the European Union"(pdf) by Mariana Mazzucato.
- European partnerships: These partnerships will only be established or renewed if they have an impact that cannot be achieved by other Framework Programme measures or national activities alone.
The European Commission has also already presented a proposal defining the rules for participation for Horizon Europe.
Synergies with other EU programmes
Horizon Europe and the Euratom Programme for Research and Training aim to ensure effective and operational synergies with other future EU programmes and EU measures designed to promote faster dissemination and uptake of research and innovation results at the national and regional level.