FAQ: Removing digital accessibility barriers

The following summarises the key questions and answers for users of websites and mobile apps provided by public authorities. This FAQ section is updated by FFG service point employees on an ongoing basis.

What can I do if I cannot use parts of a public authority website due to accessibility problems?

Get directly in touch with the contact person at that organisation. The contact person will be listed in the accessibility statement.

Who do I turn to if no contact details are given on the website, or if the reply I receive is unsatisfactory?

Our service point is happy to help you with websites and mobile apps provided by federal authorities. If the problem lies with a public authority website or mobile app in a federal province, please contact  your regional complaints office (German).

Will the FFG treat my complaint anonymously?

Yes, the FFG will not disclose your data to third parties.

What happens after I submit a complaint to the FFG?

We determine whether the website or mobile app in question fails to fulfil particular accessibility requirements and thus violates the provisions of the Web Accessibility Act (WZG).

  • Where the complaint is justified in terms of the Web Accessibility Act (WZG) (German), the team of experts at the FFG will list the barriers found and suggest remedial measures.

  • If the complaint pertains to other federal laws relating to equal treatment, or the query should be dealt with by a complaints office in a different federal province, then we offer to pass on your query to the responsible office with your consent.

  • If the query is not related to web accessibility, then the FFG service point is not responsible. The same applies when the FFG experts determine that the complaint is not justified.

In any of these cases, we will inform you of our assessment and the next steps. We make every effort to process your complaint as quickly as possible and try to keep to a maximum of 2 months.

Is the advice given by the FFG service point equivalent to legal advice?

No, any information and advice given by the FFG can never replace legal advice or entrusting the matter to specialised institutions such as the Disability Ombudsman, the Ombudsman Board, or a conciliation body.