In the grant preparation phase, the Grant Agreement (GA) with the European Commission/funding agency is prepared and electronically signed in the Funding & Tender Opportunities Portal.
What happens during the preparation of the Grant Agreement?
- The information provided in the proposal is checked and amended, where necessary.
- Key data of the action such as start of the project, number and duration of reporting periods, budget and amount of pre-financing are specified.
- The financial capacity of the coordinator is usually checked ("financial capacity check").
- The results of the "ethics review" and/or "security scrutiny" are implemented, if applicable.
How is the Grant Agreement signed?
- Following the grant preparation phase, each project participant signs a Declaration of Honour.
- The GA is then signed, first by the coordinator followed by the European Commission/funding agency.
- The other project partners may join the agreement within 30 days using the "Accession Form" (Annex 3).
- All the agreements and documents mentioned above are signed electronically in the Funding & Tender Opportunities Portal.
- The agreement is signed electronically by the "Project Legal Signatory (PLSIGN)".
- Failure to meet the deadlines specified in the invitation to prepare a GA (without extension of the deadline) may cause the project to be rejected!
- “Substantial” deviations of the GA from the proposal are not permitted. All changes must in principle be covered by the invitation to grant preparation. Obvious errors and contradictions may also be rectified.
- Suggestions made by the evaluators in the Evaluation Summary Report (ESR) may, but need not be implemented.
- Changes in the composition of the consortium are only possible in extraordinary cases. They must be agreed with the "Project Officer (PI)" stating the reasons.
- Each project partner and each linked third party need a validated PIC (= Participant Identification Code) prior to signing the GA. Each project participant must additionally have a validated LEAR for Horizon 2020.
- For contacting the validation service of the European Commission please follow these instructions: 1. Log in to the Funding & Tenders Opportunities Portal, 2. Click on "My Organisation(s)" in the left menu bar, 3. Click on "Actions" and on "Modify Organisation" on the right next to your organisation, 4. Click on "Messages" and on "Create a new message" in the left menu bar.
Detailed information can be found ...
- in the presentations of the European Commission "H2020 Coordinators' Day - Grant Agreement Preparation"
- in the infosheet of the European Commission "Signing Horizon 2020 grant agreements electronically – what's involved?"
The Consortium Agreement is also prepared during the grant preparation phase. The European Commission/funding agency is not involved in this agreement, which is concluded between the project participants.