Digital accessibility barriers discovered – what do you do?

If you identify accessibility problems on a public authority website or mobile app, there are many ways to respond. We have provided a short guide for you below.

At a glance: the options for users

Get in touch with the contact person for that organisation.

The relevant contact person will be listed in the accessibility statement. Ideally, you will be able to solve the problem directly with the organisation in question

No contact or satisfactory result: contact the FFG service point or regional complaints office.

Our service point will be happy to help you. If the problem lies with a public website or mobile app in a federal province, please contact your regional complaints office (German).

Receive reply from the FFG or regional complaints office.

The office you contacted will inform you about the next steps for your query. You will find more information in our questions and answers section.

Initiate conciliation proceedings in the event of discrimination against people with disabilities.

The Disability Equality Package enshrines protection against discrimination for people with disabilities in many areas of daily life. In some instances, violations of the Web Accessibility Act (WZG) constitute disability discrimination. Should this be the case, you may apply for conciliation to the relevant regional office of the Social Ministry Service. Please note that for legal reasons the FFG is not permitted to initiate conciliation proceedings on your behalf.

The conciliation proceedings are free and informal, and you do not require legal representation. As the claimant, you must credibly establish that there has been discrimination on the grounds of disability, but you are not required to present a disability pass or certificate.

You will find detailed information about the conciliation proceedings on the Federal Ministry of Social Affairs website (German).

You may bring a person you trust or the Federal Disability Ombudsman with you to the conciliation meeting.

Contact the Federal Disability Ombudsman:

Babenbergerstrasse 5/4, 1010 Vienna
Tel: 0800 80 80 16 (free of charge)

File a lawsuit with the courts.

If the conciliation proceedings with the Social Ministry Service do not reach a satisfactory outcome, your last option is to go to court. Confirmation that no agreement has been reached in the conciliation proceedings allows you to file a lawsuit with the competent court.

You will find detailed information about filing a lawsuit on the Federal Ministry of Social Affairs website (German).